Saturday, June 30, 2012

Beauty Spotlight: What's on my Dressing Table

I have been woefully neglecting this blog, so  since it is my turn for the Beauty Spotlight "What in my ..." series, I thought I'd put up a whopper. This is primarily a pictorial post, so I hope you enjoy.



As you might be able to see from the photo above, my dressing table is also a workspace. I have a home office upstairs, but I do a lot of photo organization and editing at this table. On my Mac desktop, you will see The Unbearable Cuteness of Being. That's India, also known as Puss Kitten Meow Face. She needs no makeup to look so beautiful.

Onto the desk. Starting at the left side is a wood jewelry box, but you'll have to forgive me for not showing the contents inside. On top of the jewelry box is a container of Chanel No.5 powder under a tissue box covered in monogrammed white linen. Yes. I monogram everything. OK, not everything, but I monogram a LOT.




Moving right are two thingies to hang/organize rings, earrings, and necklaces. This jewelry (outside the box) is basic gold and some halfway decent pearls.  My parents gave me the sea glass bracelet on the far left this past Christmas, and Mr. Petals gave me the aquamarine bracelet (third from left) for my birthday a few months ago. I rarely wear necklaces, and when I do, it's usually the pearls.

Continuing right, I store small bottles of pure perfume in a tiny Nantucket Lightship Basket that I made several years ago, under the tutelage of my father. 





My father gives classes in his workshop, which are full for months in advance. People drive up from several states away. He occasionally sells his baskets locally, and for a while he was doing business with Orvis, but he could not keep up with the demand, and he refuses to compromise on the quality of his work. To give you an idea how time consuming basket making is, the above basket took me almost two days day to make, but the baskets he makes take upwards of 40 hours apiece, while items like a bassinet can take several weeks. His workshop has some authentic baskets that would make your head spin.

Most typically, he makes fishing creels, "2 eggers," and the renowned Nantucket Lightship Basket purses. He has made me a candlestick holder (which I could use to tote wine), bread basket, and of course, a handbag.





Moving right along, I enjoy layering fragrance, so the result is more subtle than a big spray of perfume. I was happy to discover that Chanel No.19 body cream was available on the Chanel web site a couple months ago. The 19 cream doesn't come around that often, though you can almost always find No.5.




Moving further right is the Lazy Susan, which is sitting on top of a 2-drawer paper organizer that I don't currently use for paper.

I have a few eye creams hanging around, as well as some surprisingly excellent serum from Prescriptives. (I have at least 10 samples of the Px, enough to last several months, and I am glad; it's good stuff, and I will buy the full product when these are gone.) I don't often wear a separate eye cream, preferring to use whatever serum or moisturizer I put on my face, but I bought the Caudalie and SK-II on impulse, they are not objectionable, so I will eventually use them up or throw them out if I have not done so within a year.





I am always experimenting with hand cream. Crabtree & Evelyn La Source smells beautiful, a light marine fragrance, but the cream isn't that rich.





Usually dangling off one of the divided compartments in the Lazy Susan is my favorite watch, a basic Timex with a dark navy and cream grosgrain ribbon. I have other watches--some quite nice--but I love my Timex, always have.




Now we've arrived at my color palette.  I was analyzed as True (Cool) Summer back in December, and Mr. Petals was analyzed as Light Summer, so those are our swatch books.  I have identical fan decks in my handbag (for in-person shopping), but I keep the above near the computer, so if I am ordering clothing online, I can use the fans as a reference. I know what colors I like, but they aren't always the best colors on me, so it helps to remind myself that I need to keep things 100% cool or I will look very wan and haggard.




Here is the fan, splayed out, showing different sleeves.




The most gorgeous taupes, greiges, stones, pebbles ... ever!

My greys and some of my blues

My best pinks, roses, and reds

My purples

Moving right along ... we arrive at the sum total of my lip gloss collection. I am, at heart, a lipstick girl. I keep trying gloss, because damn, it looks pretty. But I just don't like how it feels on my lips. That said, let's admire the precious, shall we?









My comb and brush. Nothing exciting; have had them for decades.






To the right of the Lazy Susan in a crystal rocks glass holding my most-used brushes. All the others are tucked away in a drawer, wondering if they are going to get the heave ho at a future blog sale.


Face brushes:
Hakuhodo LAG, Hakuhodo G527 powder, Suqqu cheek, Hakuhodo S114 highlighter

The NARS eyeliner I use on my lips, as described in my guest post on LPC's excellent blog


Yes, that is one dirty brush (Laura Mercier Finishing Eye brush), but it did its duty this morning



My eye brushes, many of which I review in my brush post. From left to right:
  • Paula Dorf Angle used to apply brow powder
  • Hakuhodo 532BLSL, an eyeshadow sweep brush
  • MAC 239, still a favorite for its size and density
  • Shu Uemura Natural #10, the best springy brush for diffusing shimmer
  • Edward Bess Luxury Eye Brush; I like this brush better than many of my Hakuhodos; it's a serious multitasker.
  • MAC 217, again an excellent value
  • Hakuhodo K005, THE perfect brush for pushing pigmented eyeshadow into the lash line for the most subtle, natural "eyeliner" look


On the surface of the 2-drawer paper cabinet are the earrings I wear all the time, to the exclusion of all others. My Mikomoto pearls or small white gold hoops (never at the same time; each ear has only one hole). Besides a watch, earrings are pretty much the only jewelry I wear, and if I wear pearls at my throat, I definitely skip the pearl earrings.




Nothing very exciting in the top drawer of the 2-drawer paper cabinet, but I said I would show everything, so here are a bunch of perfume samples that I will almost surely never use.




Bottom drawer. Nothing much to see here except the reading glasses I now need to read the tiny print on makeup packaging.




OK, now we're on the table surface under the iMac. I have a small Braun travel clock, which is a backup for my beloved Braun AB30 sl. I still have the original two that I purchased in 1996, but I live in dread of the day they die because they are no longer manufactured. I don't mean to go on about a silly clock, but the AB 30 sl, which was designed by Dieter Rams & Deitrich Lubs, is a beautiful thing for such a tiny clock. Its battery-check system monitors the battery’s voltage level. When the battery’s energy drops below a certain level, the second hand moves in 2-second intervals, indicating that the battery should be replaced. It also has gentle, crescendo alarm, and an 8-minute snooze! The white one below is NOT it.




Enough clock talk. Here are my summer perfumes:
  • Bobbi Brown Beach
  • CB I Hate Perfume Mr. Hulot's Holiday
  • Prescriptives Calyx
  • Hermes Elixir des Merveilles
  • Jo Malone Assam & Grapefruit
  • Chanel No.19
Missing from the lineup is Dior Eau Sauvage. It has temporarily gone missing.




In the following pictures are the scented lotions I occasionally wear: Chanel No.19 and Crabtree & Evelyn La Source.




If you look to the right in the picture above, you will see a window. The following image is what I see through it. I realize it's not "in my ..." anything (other than in my yard), but it's part of the whole dressing table experience and it makes me happy. The photo is of one of the cottage garden I planted four years ago. I ordered seedlings, put them in the ground, and waited around 2 years to really get an idea what I was going to get.

Be advised it's still early in the season in zone 5B, and the colors are not yet riotous. What I have so far are lavender, huchera, geraniums, filipendula rubra, helleborus, lady's mantle, foxglove, and daisies. On its way is bee balm, anemones, poppies, delphiniums, campanula, asters, flox, violas, yarrow, hollyhocks, astilbe, sweet william, pea, and many many other perennials and self-seeding wildflowers.




Dragging our eyes back inside, if you refer back to the first picture in this post, you'll notice that below the table is a 6-drawer Ikea Alex. The top two drawers hold just a small portion of product I am releasing in the upcoming blog sale. Consider this a sneak peak. I also have at least a half dozen filled boxes tucked under the piano. This one is going to be a doozie, which is the primary reason I haven't done it yet. It's a huge amount of work. (Click pictures to enlarge.)




Then we get to The Drawer, the items I use all the time ... or at least the products that haven't gone into the Purgatory Drawer, which I will show soon. I will break down my daily goods by section and show it all to you.




On the far left is some unexciting face stuff. The gunmetal compact holds my beloved Jane Iredale PurePressed foundation, and to its immediate right is a backup pan of my color in Ivory. Behind those and to the left is Jane Iredale Powder-me SPF, a dry sunscreen, some empty Julie Hewett palettes (which are the perfect size for depotted Chantecaille pans, both blush and eyeshadow) and my Make Up For Ever High Density powder, which I use with its brush and carrying case, even if it's been shown that celebrities should proceed with caution.




Moving inward are my favorite nail polishes. I don't wear nail polish on my fingernails very often, though I have done so for nail polish reviews on this blog, because I had not yet discovered nail wheels. When I wear polish, I usually wear it on my toes only, and I was NOT about to show you my ballet-destroyed feet. Only Mr. Bunny thinks they are cute.

The roses shown below are my most cherished toe shades. I like colors that don't compete with footwear, and each color below complements my skin tone, so it almost blends in with my feet ... if that makes any sense.


The winners for toes are butter LONDON Dahling and Sally Hansen Rose Run


That color at top left in the photo below (Ballerina) is the only one that I occasionally wear on my fingernails, but only a single coat. Chanel Rose Insolent is a most excellent hot pink, which looks even better when I wear my Eliza B flip flips with Kelly Green grosgrain ribbon. I also like Revlon Teak Rose (bottom row, second from left) for late summer-into-fall, which has been such a reliable color throughout the decades I wrote a sonnet for it. It's like lipstick for toes.




Cheeks: NARS blush in Gaiety, Chanel Poudre Douce Soft Pressed Powder 30 Rosee, which I use as very subtle highlighter, and Chanel Joues Contraste Tumulte, which I almost never wear, pretty as it is.





Brow stuff, some of which is discussed here and here: Laura Mercier Brow Definer, Prescriptives Groom Stick, and Clinique Brow Shaper (depotted with a magnet stuck to the bottom).





And we arrive at the sum total of my remaining eyeshadows.  Not a whole lot of color excitement going on down there. Just one cool neutral after another, and it's pretty clear that I tend to favor a very small selection, so I could probably quite easily let most of the rest of it go. But not yet.




Prescriptives has been a true favorite for many years, since 1989 in fact. The first two colors I bought back then, Mushroom and Rose Powder, are still sold, and they are generally the only "colors" I wear on my eyes. It's an excellent bargain, falling in the middle of drugstore and department store prices.

Chantecaille is another favorite brand for its excellent, subtle neutrals and sheer washes of color. Laura Mercier also makes some of the best eyeshadows on the market, as she believes less is more when it comes to women's faces. Both are especially kind to aging eyelid skin that is becoming slack and crepey.


Laura Mercier Topaz, Sable, and Twilight Grey


Neutral swatch heaven:




Swatches identified by color.






Sometimes you can get lucky and snag an excellent Gift with Purchase, such as the tiny Bobbi Brown eyeshadow compact below. I placed it next to a Chanel Rouge Coco Shine for scale. It's about the same size as a credit card and barely twice as thick.




Inside it holds more than you would think possible; in this case, a worthy selection of cool neutrals. The Bobbi Brown web site often has great gifts like this if you sign up. Laura Mercier and Chantecaille promos are far less frequent, and the gifts aren't always as good. Actually, Chante's can be great, but they often require a minimum purchase of $200.




Swatches of the Bobbi Brown eye compact


Now I'll describe contents of the drawer dividers. Let's get the slightly boring, utilitarian one out of the way first, the one that holds non-lipstick and non-pencil products.




It's a catch-all for my glass nail file, extra lip balm, clear brow gel, tubing and regular mascaras, highlighter/concealer, tweezers, various skincare samples and treatments, and a magnifying glass.




Here's the pencil compartment for both lips and eyes, though my NARS Rue Bonaparte pencil got left behind in the brush cup, and was described earlier.




My favorite Chanel eyeliners (especially taupe) are shown below, but to be fair, I most often use Laura Mercier Matte Eyeshadow in Deep Night, because the color matches the navy-grey rims around my blue irises.




Powder eyeshadow I like to use as eyeliner for its subtelty: shu uemura M Grey 943 (discontinued) and Laura Mercier Deep Night and Twilight Grey.




Lips!! My favorite makeup ever and my "desert island" product without question.




Julie Hewett Camellia Lip Balm.  I have it in the tube (clear ), which is shown above under the pot in the plain black case, and I also have the potted version, in both Rose (below) and Ruby. It's FANTASTIC, and I am forever spoiled for other lip balms, which just don't measure up.




My lip pencils are not exciting. They match my lips. I don't bother trying to match lip pencil to lipstick; I find that ... pointless. I just match my lips and then I can wear anything on top. Prescriptives Dusty Rose is slightly lighter than my lip pigment (and, as it turns out, too warm), and Julie Hewett Hue 011 is pretty close to perfect, though I almost never use pencils, preferring a more soft, natural lip without obvious borders.




My favorite lipsticks. Currently, anyway.




Top left, clockwise:
  • Laura Mercier Gel Lip Colour Sweet Cherry
  • Prescriptives Colorscope Lipstick Social (discontinued)
  • Clinique Butter Shine Fresh Watermelon
  • Clinique A Different Lipsick Raspberry Glacé (been around for 30 years!)
  • Prescriptives Rosemarine (discontinued a decade ago but duplicated via Three Custom Colors)
  • Chanel Rouge Coco Shine Bonheur
  • Chanel Rouge Coco Shine Antigone
  • Chanel Rouge Coco Shine Romance
  • Chanel Rouge Coco Shine Fétiche (presently one of my MLLB shades)
I accidentally left Lipstick Queen Jean Queen out of the photo lineup, but that's because it wasn't in the drawer. It is my #1 lipstick, so I  always carry it with me and I'll show it in a later photograph, at the end of this post.


Closeup of my beautiful roses and reds--most of them completely sheer


And finally, another catch-all compartment. This one holds Paula Dorf Transformer (described, in brief, here), an empty bottle cap to mix the transformer and eyeshadow (to use for eye lining), and various samples I am experimenting with.




That container also holds a few other miscellany, such as blotting papers, heavy-duty moisturizer that I use on elbows, knees, heels, and cuticles. and real concealer, which I hardly ever use, preferring the light-diffusing products, like Yves Saint Laurent Touche Eclat, which also got left out of this post because it was in my handbag. Maybe I need to do a "What's in my purse" post soon!




And lest I forget, here's the Purgatory Drawer. It holds items I am not currently using but don't yet have the heart to get rid of it, as well as items I don't use often, like pencil sharpeners, empty compacts, more specialized brushes, bamboo curlers, and oodles of samples.




But for all of the above, it is the products in the picture below that I use every single day, though I do not line my eyes all the time, and I often skip mascara, so I left it out. I should have included Mercier's Deep Night eyeshadow in the lineup, but by the time I got to this picture, my eyes were crossing.

I love makeup and I really enjoy beauty blogging, but I really do love my basics.
 

NARS Gaiety, Estee Lauder concealer, Chanel Gris eye pencil, Paula Dorf Eye Primer, Jane Iredale PurePressed Foundation, Prescriptives Rose Powder an Mushroom eyeshadow, Clinique Brow Shaper, and Lipstick Queen Jean Queen


That's it! I hope you enjoyed a peek into my drawers.  If you have any questions or comments, please post away. TTFN.

72 comments:

  1. What a great collection of makeup items and so organized:) I have seen the same IKEA dresser, maybe I should get it too. It is nice to see other bloggers' collections, thanks for sharing. By the way, your English cottage garden is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rola.

      As for the Alex, it's an excellent, very roomy and deep storage unit, especially because it has wheels, so I can pull it out from under the table and use it as a turnaround. Just remember you have to assemble it! I tend to forget these things, such as buying new trees, being so excited about them, and then getting home and remembering I have to dig massive holes!

      Delete
    2. This style of dressing table is looking great. Actually I like the stand for necklace and bangles. Other draws are also looking great because it gives the capacity for makeup goods.

      Delete
  2. I haven't been this organized since the day after I was born. I blame my father for that. You impress me! You have some beautiful items and your pictures are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marcia. I dusted for all of you. I was a little horrified by the thickness of it behind the jewelry box, etc. There must have been colonies of creatures living in it, like Whoville.

      Delete
  3. OMG-- first of all, I have missed you terribly dear friend! Second of all I want half of what's in the upcoming blog sale pile-- I spy Chantecaille (and RBR and Chanel). I'm drooling! Lovely post!! xoL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lola! I have missed you, too. Work has been as unrelenting as my gardens; no end to the deadlines, but I finally hired the friendly worker, off hours, who works at my local garden shop. I love being outside but I just don't have the time this year.

      I sincerely hope you take half the load off my hands soon!

      Delete
    2. I suspected that you continued to be quite swamped at work. I'm glad that you are getting some help with your glorious garden-- you can only do so much. I am awe inspired by the basket that you made and the newly added photos of the basket that your dad made-- simply amazing!!

      I suspect that I will take more off of your hands than I should!! xoxox

      Delete
  4. This was *epic*. I love this kind of post. There's nothing quite as satisfying as having a good selection of colours that you know effortlessly match you.

    I'd love to get colour/season matched. I think I'm a winter, but I'm not sure what type. I definitely do better with cooler neutrals than warmer ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Epic made me laugh. I love this kind of post, too, which is why I didn't go chintzy. I know I'd want all the details!

      I strongly suspect you are Winter, too, and based on the fact that you can wear cool-neutral colors, as well as those "sludge" (muted) shades so well, I am leaning toward Dark Winter, which borders Autumn in its depth and darkness of color. The primary color dimension of a DW is value, and while its hue is cooler than it is warm, its darkness would overshadow the pure cool hue of a Cool (True) Winter (Snow White types), and you don't strike me as a Bright Winter, which is intense and clear. Your coloring looks soft and muted but cool.

      DW is a beautiful season with its velvety majestic colors! Do you wear black well? Black plays prominent role in the DW palette.

      Delete
    2. I pretty much live in black - I was drawn to black clothes even as a child. I also like ashy shades, greys, navy, blues. I think I'm DW, from the sound of it.

      Delete
  5. "...after a year of beauty blogging, I will soon be culled down to my basics."
    I am so impressed, and slightly envious.
    I want to be there already! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, BooBoo. I feel lighter already!

      Delete
    2. Like Grace London, I'd like to one day get colour-matched. It seems to make more efficient and ultimately more rewarding shopping results.

      Delete
    3. It does. Where it comes in most handy is when looking at a sea of color in a department store, there are now colors my eyes don't even light on.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for letting us take a peek! I would love to play at your dressing table - all of the colour palette is so pretty and wearable :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic stuff! When I stop hyperventilating, I will be able to read & view your generous and gorgeous post. I know i'll enjoy this one a lot, over time to come. What a special post, & a tribute to your skills! Justine

    ReplyDelete
  8. A post like this deserves some type of award, LOVE IT! Where can I get one of those books of swatches?

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tammy, I got my swatch books at the end of my personal color analysis, but I bought extras from truecolor.com in Australia.

      http://www.truecolour.com.au/main/page_shop_shop.html

      Amelia won't be able to help you choose--as a color analyst, she does in person analyses only, but you can get lots of help on various color boards like on Yuku:

      http://seasonalcolor.yuku.com/

      These color communities are also sprinkled throughout Facebook. You can search for the "True Summer Group," and from there you'll be able to friend people from various seasons. There is also a "Light Summer Style Group," but I am not on any Soft Summer ones.

      Delete
    2. Oops, my pinkie hit [return] before I had finished my reply. Thank you, as well, for your compliments. High praise, indeed!

      Delete
  9. Absolutely divine! Gloriously organized! And the view out of your window is magnificent! I would love to magically transport your edited collection home to my beauty stash & be done. I am getting there - slowly! Wore Raspberry Glace yesterday - it had gotten lost in the depths & received compliments about looking fresh. It needs to stay at the front of the stash!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raspberry Glace is such a great color, and I am always happy to find such a bargain for a lipstick under $15. Plus, Clinique's Different Lipstick formula feels so good, never drying.

      I have been experimenting today with my coolest of cool colors, and darn if they don't look better than the neutrals. I suppose it's a matter of my getting used to seeing myself with purple eyelids, and also remember that before my lid color took on the teabag stain of age (nice), those same lids used to be lavender on their own. So now I need a bit more coolness to ameliorate that brownish beige.

      Delete
    2. Gaa, my pinkie did it again. It's possessed.

      I'm really glad you found such a great lipstick color. Getting unsolicited compliments from people, especially those who aren't saying "I like your lipstick," but rather are saying, "You look fresh" are the BEST.

      Delete
  10. Girl!!! This is an amazing post!!! No wonder you feel like you "birthed" this one! ;) I really like how you have your set-up and got lots of great ideas! I keep wanting to get one of those IKEA drawers...hmm...I am thinking they will be purchased soon. Thanks for including all the swatches too. You rock! Have a fabulous weekend!!! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I feel embarrassed, given you actually did birth one recently!! Somehow my 8 hours of air-conditioned toil doesn't hold a candle to 9 months of increasing girth and x hours of hard labor! :)

      As for the Ikea, if nothing else, that drawer/cart would come in very handy for a new mother. You could store diapers in it flat (if cloth) and wipes and all kinds of baby goodness and other items you reach for often.

      Delete
  11. I love this post, Zuzu! So comprehensive, and fabulous photos. Thanks for sharing it all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, Susan. I am glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  12. This was an amazing post--absolute eye candy. I am going to look at it again and again. Your have an impressive makeup collection and solid organizational skills. I love the Nantucket Lightship Baskets. Your English garden is divine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eye candy is exactly how I feel when I get to peek in other women's stashes. Lola's Beauty Blog had one recently that made my eyes pop out and roll down the street.

      Delete
  13. Gorgeous. And I find I can infer your coloring SO CLEARLY from this. I feel I am just a tad to the warmer side than you - perhaps that makes me Light Summer. Damned if I know:). Anyway, this is just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LPC, thank you, and you do look Light Summer-ish to me, as you appear to have subtle sunny golden overtones, but I was wrong about me AND my husband, so I try not to do much more than speculate online. If you are LSu, then color me jealous, as it's such a beautiful palette, prettier than mine to look at, though mine is right for me.

      Delete
    2. As for my coloring, I am finally finishing my wardrobe transition and I unearthed an older Ralph Lauren polo in a hot pink color (it had accidentally gotten stored with my husband's stuff) ... I can't be sure but I think it's Maui Pink? Anyway, wow! What on earth ever made me think I couldn't wear such a hot pink?

      I feel like I am starting to become more bold with my palette and playing it less safe with the stones and wheats and marhsmallow whites. When I wear the right colors I need almost no makeup at all besides the required groomed brows and a bit of sheer lip color.

      Anyway, given your location, I'd bet you have ready access to SciART analysts. I would love to be a fly on the wall at your draping, but you already seem to know what suits you quite well.

      Delete
  14. What a fun post to read! Love love love!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fun post Zuzu! I'm culling some more this weekend as well. Just so tired of all the excess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracey, it's so liberating to unburden. I love being a beauty blogger, but one does tend to accumulate things. I now need to concentrate more about beauty itself than the trappings that help make it so.

      Good luck with your culling!

      Delete
  16. Super post - great insight into your organisation, just like a cool summer should be! I too am a cool summer but sadly lack your tidyness. Thankyou Zu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not really that tidy. The surface of my dressing table already looks like a disaster hit it. I am messy, but I clean up often. :D

      Delete
  17. I am a huge fan of both Chanel 19 & La Source, AND Prescriptives Rose Powder and Mushroom were among my first dept. store eyeshadow purchases (back when they were sold in dept stores). I am excited to have found you through Grace London. It seems our coloring is very similar, and I struggle with cosmetic colors. I think I'll try some of what you use!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. shin ae, how nice to find a skin twin! There are so few of us in the beauty blogosphere, which seems dominated by warm-toned NC35+ beauties.

      If you decide to experiment with the cosmetics I am using, do focus on posts that start in January and not so much from last year (2011). Though I have been using the iconic Rose Powder/Mushroom forever, I went on a wild tangent when I first started blogging and bought some colors unsuitable for me.

      After my color analysis at the end of last year, I put aside all makeup that wasn't harmonious with my skin tone, and I was happy that some of it was still good. Luckily, I don't wear that much so there few casualties. Meanwhile, if you have questions, please ask away.

      Delete
    2. So many of my questions are answered in this post, so THANK YOU. I got rid of almost all of my good cosmetics and have not repurchased much, so I am due for a little of this and a little of that. I would have asked you about (1) a good base which I don't use all over, but only to cover a bit of rosacea on my cheeks. There, your posts were very helpful. (2) Brow filler stuff--again, covered. (3) Shadow colors, and I love that you mentioned that the Laura Mercier is favorable to aging lids, because ALAS. (4) I find that you have investigated two items about which I had a burning curiosity: Lipstick Queen Medieval and Touche Eclat. I see you still use Touche Eclat, but wonder if you still enjoy Medieval after your color analysis? Thank you for all the information you've compiled here!

      Delete
    3. I love(d) Lipstick Queen; you can't beat its sheerness for a red lipstick, especially for day. Sadly, it's a touch too warm for me, so for the same color payoff, I use Julie Hewett Camellia Lip Balm. She makes three: plain (looks orange, but it's clear), Rose, and Ruby. The "colored" ones come in a pot, and Ruby adds just enough color to my lips to make them look real, and it's a blue-based red, perfect for me.

      I'll be reviewing both of JH's tinted balms very soon. In fact, I'll try to post it tomorrow so you can see the colors, such as they are.

      Delete
  18. Great post! I homed in on all those lovely cool everyday shadows :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, how can neutral be so addicting? (:

      Delete
  19. I absolutely love your collection. In terms of colors and textures, it looks very much like my own, especially the eye shadows. Mine, however, is not nearly as beautifully organized :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Catherine! I just took a look at your blog and was surprised by the first couple posts about cruelty-free products and brands. Brands, especially. I guess because some of them (like NARS) get such "toxic" ratings on the EWG's skindeep database for using less-kind ingredients, I assumed they'd be vile animal haters, too. But then I remembered NARS' French Bulldog, Marcel (squee!), who I think passed away earlier this year.

      You have a gorgeous blog, and I have now subscribed. (:

      Delete
  20. WOWZA! Love this! You have such a fantastic collection xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  21. First time reader, and what an introduction! You've started several lemmings ... particularly for Chanel No. 19. I wear No. 5 and 22, so maybe I'd like it. Must sniff.

    Anyway, great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Poppy, welcome! No.19 seems so different to me than no.5. It's less floral and strong in aldehydes. I also find that it dries down to something less feminine with my chemistry, light, almost unisex--but not completely. No.5 seems romantic, something I'd wear at night. No.15 is springy and green, good for daytime.

      Delete
  22. Absolutely loved this. Saw some bits and pieces I will check out (Chanel eye liners..). Your drawers must be like the Tardis - they look so compact yet manage to fit that huge amount in! You went to a huge amount of trouble to lay everything out beautifully so we could see easily - and am so envious of your gorgeous view. Really enjoyed this - thank you, and thank you Grace! Sinead xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sinead. Your comment about the Tardis made me laugh.

      Delete
  23. Oh wow, I need to organize more! I'm jealous of your Chanel pretties. I really want to check out that taupe liner now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taupe is my favorite by far. It's very subtle and hardly looks like makeup at all, which (ironically) is the whole point for me. If I can reduce my current stuff by 75% I will feel much better. :)

      Delete
  24. Wow, you sure have a lot on your dressing table! I'm in love with all the Chanels - and also by how organized you are with the products!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Katherine. I do get a bit messy but I usually put everything in its right place before bed. It helps me sleep to know it's not all hanging out in the surface issuing a silent scream.

      Delete
  25. wow, very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  26. very organize and clean. i have the tall version of the ikea drawers. great way to store and be clutter-free

    ReplyDelete
  27. Holy crap--there is only one word that comes to mind when I look at your collection: EPIC! Oh, and JEALOUS would be another :P Really great picks! I feel the same about my makeup choices too--I love playing with makeup and collecting makeup and having a nice variety to choose from, but in the end I tend to gravitate towards soft neutrals and earthy tones for my eyes, natural, pretty skin, and tinted lips.

    Oh, REALLY want to try that Julie Hewett balm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's that "epic" word again, and here I go laughing again.

      Julie Hewett balm is teh bomb!

      Delete
  28. Totally amazing collection. I would never leave the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure you would, you'd want to go prance around in your fancy bloomers. (:

      Delete
  29. Just realized my comment isn't here. Must have messed up something! Anyways I was coming back to view this post again because I envy your organization do much and I was looking for inspiration for my setup. This is the best post ever! The organization, the pics, the stash, the offshoot mini articles contained in the post. You are amazing!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a great post! You are so organized and have an amazing collection! I especially love the beautiful basket you made :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. ZuZu, would you mind sharing your take on the Prescriptives Groom Stick? I don't have experience with Prescriptives as I wasn't into makeup when the line had physical counters. From the website, it looks like Clove would be a match for me. The only reviews I've found are from the Prescriptives website. Perhaps it could be a seed for a "Maintaining Youthful Eyebrows 2" post?

    Is the pencil anything like the MAC eyebrow pencils? The packaging looks similar. Is the pencil waxy, hard, long-wearing, waterproof, and/or water-resistant? Anyway, I'm not in need of a quick response. I have plenty of brow products... all of which I accumulated in my search for an HG. :)

    Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember mentioning it in this post ... or did you eagle eye it in my stash? ;D

      Based on how I remember the MAC twist-up pencils, I would say the Px Groom Stick is almost exactly like that.

      The color of Clove is beautiful. A rich, smoky coffee brown with wee hints of grey undertones. If you have dark or ashy brows or you are a brunette, I'd say it could be a contender.

      The texture is medium-soft, easy to flick a natural thin line into the hairs. It wears well on me, but I don't handle my brows once I apply product, so most brow products wear well on me.

      I don't know if it's waterproof/resistant; the packaging doesn't say. I just ran it under a gush under the faucet, and it didn't budge. It appears to be sweatproof, based on my wearing it during some extremely hot days this summer, but when I gently pulled my finger across the swatch I drew on the back of my hand, it blended out immediately. So not smudgeproof. At all. In fact, it rather surprised me how easily I could smudge it ... might double up as an excellent eyeliner.

      I don't really have anything else to compare it to, as my only other brow products are Shu Uemura hard pencil in Seal Brown and Stone, and the ever-present Clinique Brow Shaper in Shaping Charcoaled.

      Clove is a very pretty color, though. If only it were a half shade lighter (still staying cool) it would be perfect for me.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for doing the water test for me. You're good to me, Zuzu! And yes, I have eagle eyes for brow-related matters. :) I think my first comment on this blog was in response to "Maintaining Your Eyebrows".

      Your description of Clove sounds promising. I would normally step away from something "coffee brown", but Clove may be ashy enough to work with my black hair. How does it compare to the Charcoaled Clinique Brow Shaper?

      By the way, the Clinique Brow Shaper was my first brow product and first makeup of my own. My mom is a die-hard Clinique customer and she took me to the counter to get something for my brows in preparation for my high school Grad dance. I've long since tossed the powder, but the memories are fresh. :)

      Delete
  32. I have my computer on my dressing table, too! My husband doesn't understand why....
    Nice post :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! If you have a specific question or request, please feel free to e-mail me directly. Comments that contain advertising links or shameless plugs will not be published.